6.2.07

if the doors of perception...

were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through' narrow chinks of his cavern."
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
by way of Aldous Huxley's book, The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell.

jim morrison could quote from Huxley's book chapter and verse. i first fell in love with jim morrison's words in high school. the music only enhanced his words for me. light my fire was an anomaly in my mind. it was a pop song that everyone was dancing to. noone listened to the words.
We tripped the wall, we scaled the graveyard
Ancient shapes were all around us.
The wet dew felt fresh beside the fog.

the illusion is vast. the words tripped off his tungue. the sexual overtones were blatant. the meaning was couched in acid.

jim morrison's other poetry was more important in my mind. they were probably my intitial foray into existentialism before i ever knew what the word meant.

in trying to decide the door's song that would be my favorite, i can't. my least favorite, of course, is light my fire. i would be hard pressed to decide between alabama song, by kurt weill, and the end which was actually the beginning for me. they are so opposite of each other.

but, i have to give you a different door's song - riders on the storm. why? it would be the thing to do considering the incongruity of jim morrison...

No comments: