5.2.07

who knows where the time goes...



this song, written by sandy denny and sung by judy collins, is my depression song.

what i mean by that is if i'm feeling funky and not knowing exactly what my state of mind is really at the moment, i'll put this on the cd player or ipod. if i start to cry or am on the verge of crying, i know i'm depressed. listening to the song helps get me out of the funk.

listen closely to the words. the two lines that have special meaning for me are I do not count the time and I do not fear the time. time is the bandit that steals our lives. there is nothing we can do about the passage of time. it is the one constant in the world. kind of strange calling it a constant. there is nothing constant about it. it is ruled by change. i recently heard a line that the only people who like change are wet babies. the rest of us resist it.

how sad.

judy collins is one of my all time favorite performers and song writers. her music is story telling. i like songs that tell stories. this song, who knows where the time goes, is used in the video above as the opening of the movie the subject was roses. it's a great movie with patricia neal at her finest. and, yes, it is a bit depressing. but it also is filled with hope.

as the adage from the hopi indians goes, when hope is gone, life is over...

No comments: