24.3.07

J'habite seul avec maman...

Dans un très vieil appartement rue Sarasate
J'ai pour me tenir compagnie
Une tortue deux canaris et une chatte.

comme ils disent



i live alone with my mother
in a very old apartment on Rue Sarasate
for company i have
a turtle, two canaries and a cat.


this is a beautiful song by charles aznavour. i've had the pleasure of seeing him perform it in person a couple of times.

it is a very sad song but one that is filled with hope. it tells of a man who lives on the fringe but is part of the mainstream of boring existence. he is a drag queen.

he speaks of his life as both person and illusion. he deals with the drudgery and the commonness of lives. his lone bits of excitement are on stage when he is someone else and in his dreams -

I ask myself what I have got
Of what I am and what I'm not
What have I given
The answers come from those who make
The rules that some of us must break
Just to keep living
I know my life is not a crime
I'm just a victim of my time
I stand defenceless
Nobody has the right to be
The judge of what is right for me
Tell me if you can
What makes a man a man


i wonder if each of us may be drag queens/kings most of the time...?

click on the post's title to jump to the complete lyrics.

No comments: